Thursday, June 16, 2011

New Direction?


Since my last post I’ve done a little more research in the online capacity. I’m beginning to thing more and more that I should start the magazine online. Overall, after all is said and done, it looks like it will be a more efficient and more productive way to go. Its hard for me to accept because I’m so attached to the idea of the magazine being a hard cover quarterly and twelve soft cover magazine. As my research has shown, print is dying. Even papers like the New York Times is on it’s way out. And it’s serious enough to make a film about.
Page One is a documentary by Andrew Rossi telling the inside story of The New York Times. Everything from the relationships and changing of the guard to the state of the paper. With a release set for the summer of 2011, Page One is a grim reminder that even the best are having a hard go of it.
The question I have to ask myself as an entrepreneur and as one that wants to publish a magazine is this: “Is the story I have to tell more compelling than the stories of The New York Times?”
I’ve also found a great source in BNET.COM. They provide plenty of daily articles ranging from current events in business to tips on how to get your company funded and how to make your idea successful. Another valuable source has been MSN.COM. One article from BNET.COM is Should You Start A Business Right After College? The article goes over key questions to ask yourself before you make that long term investment in time and most likely money. Articles like this one thoroughly go over everything you need to know and more times than not explains the whys and the why nots. I think it’s important for young entrepreneurs, all entrepreneurs for that matter, to understand their business decisions fully as to learn from each experience and become better business people because of it.
Moving forward, I have a lot more research to do in the web design area. I don’t know the cost on what it would take to develop the website I see my magazine having. I don’t know what it would take to keep the website running and I’m not too sure what avenues I would take to bring in revenue via the website. These are but a few answers that I need to find in my near future research.
Next Blog: Funding avenues and Website details

No comments:

Post a Comment